Sunday, April 5, 2009

A couple topics of interest...

A big thank you to Dan Savage of Seattle's The Stranger for writing about the horrible death of New York journalist George Weber in last week's column. It's something I was afraid to write about the day I saw it up on nydailynews.com on my parents' computer. The alleged details of the meeting (between Weber and a 16 year-old, self-described "Satan-lover"), which you can read about at the NY Post, the NY Daily News, Fox, etc. but I have no desire to link to because I think they're badly reported, cast a severely negative light on internet dating and alternative sexualities in general, and they shouldn't.

I don't know how to argue this right now, but I know they shouldn't. It only disturbs me to think that there can so much going right in the world at the same time so many things are going horribly wrong. But I'd like to think that working to banish fear and ignorance a la Dan Savage is one way to go about creating a society where sex like that doesn't happen (note, I did not say where internet hook-ups and kinky sex don't happen), and fortunately he's not the only person out there trying to accomplish this.

No comments: