Sunday, June 7, 2009

Brain Art

My boyfriend Ben and I went to see Art at Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater a couple weeks ago. As per my last post, I am swamped with finals (8 pages down, 10 pages, 20 pages, and one take-home exam to go). But here are a couple highlights from the play, which is one part interrogation of the quality and value of contemporary art, and two parts a painful deconstruction of a friendship between three men, Marc, Serge and Yvan, built almost entirely on lies and self-absorption. Ben and I decided he is slightly more like Yvan and I am slightly more like Marc. Enjoy


Marc (to Serge): "If I am who I am because I am who I am and you are who you are because you are who you are then I am who I am and you are who you are, but if I am who I am because you are who you are and you are who you are because I am who I am then I am not who I am and you are not who you are."


Serge (after Marc comments on his latest acquisition, a white canvas with white stripes): "What do you mean 'this shit'? ... I don't care how fantastic you think it is, I don't care if you laugh, but I would like to know what you mean by 'this shit.'"



How much would you pay for a white painting?

No comments: