Friday, January 16, 2009

Saddlebacking all the way to D.C.

My favorite advice columnist and queer Dan Savage recently proposed another sex-act-naming contest, this time to commemorate the word "Saddleback." As both the name of the Reverend Rick Warren's church and a term just too suggestive to pass up, Dan's seven reader-suggested definitions for saddlebacking can be found here. Go vote for your favorite.

I'm not sure how I'm voting yet (though leaning towards 5), but these are my thoughts on the choices:

(1) I agree with Dan; "sex" should by default suggest the use of a condom in today's speech, and doesn't need another term.

(2) This suggestion only half makes sense to me; Obviously in a consenual relationship, having "submissive/masochistic tendencies" is not dark or nefarious, and using the term to apply to any kind of unreciprocal sex act wrongly implies that two people can't at the same time enjoy something like oral sex. I think Dan knows better than to offer this suggestion up to readers. However, I do like the example of the word in action: 'I don't know why Obama is letting Rick Warren saddleback him into presiding over his inauguration.'" Perhaps tweak this definition a little to describe the act of intentionally hijacking a sex act to suit your own fantasies while disregarding your partner?

(3) Aside from the gory description, I like how this suggestion references "barebacking," a term already in use.

(4) "To saddleback is to rail against gay sex in public while secretly indulging in the same in private. Ted Haggard? Total saddlebacker. Larry Craig? Saddlebacker. Rick Warren? Probably a saddlebacker." Ha ha ha. It's funny now, but I'm not picking this one because I think the joke will get old too fast.

(5) Yes! This one looks like the most appropriate choice so far because it directly speaks to the hypocritical, misinformed understanding of sex someone who goes through Rick Warren's idea of "sex-ed" would have.

(6) Like number 3, I think it works, but I think Dan should be looking for something more.

(7) Rick Warren probably loves the idea of "saddlebacking" as it is defined in this choice. That's reason enough not to pick it.

What do you think?

No comments: