Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blood Orange Yogurt Cake (Happy Valentine's Day)

V-Day has come and gone, and I am still deep in the bunkers of the Reg, warring against my 9 page paper on maquiladora workers and the production of gender in Ciudad JĂșarez. Still, I think this recipe is one thing about my weekend worth getting jealous about:

Blood Orange Yogurt Cake with Blackberries and Chili Powder

(I adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from the Barefoot Contessa, who originally called it a lemon cake? This cake bears absolutely no resemblance to anything you've seen before, I'm sure.)

*2 cups of teff flour (you can use regular cake flour or whole wheat flour, but teff is the high-fiber and protein powerhouse I do all my baking with)
*1/2 cup AP flour
*1+ cup of plain yogurt
*a couple tablespoons of baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon chili powder
*1/2 cup sugar
*1/4 cup of orange rind
*a handful of finely chopped blackberries
*the freshly-squeezed juice of 4-6 blood oranges (for taste)
*1/4 teaspoon of orange extract (optional; this stuff's expensive, and I can't find any other uses for it)
*1 tablespoon salt
*4 eggwhites or 2 whole eggs
*vegetable oil to grease the loaf pan

Mix wet ingredients, mix dry, then combine; etc. etc. (I don't like baking, okay?)
Bake at 350 degree heat for about 30 minutes. I actually think this sounds much too short, but that's honestly how long it took.

Blood Orange Glaze:
1) Squeeze the juice of a couple more blood oranges into a wok pan coated with vegetable oil.
2) Pour half a cup of sugar into the pan, and then add water as necessary to even out the mixture
3) Cook on medium/low heat for 5 minutes until the sugar and water combine to form a bright pink syrup.


optional: Call me and complain that I give impossibly horrible directions for this impossibly delicious and healthy cake!

No comments: