Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My New President

I remember when President Bush, the second, won for the first time in 2000. I was in sixth grade, taking American history at a liberal school in conservative San Diego, and I obnoxiously proclaimed every chance I got, "He's not my president."

When Bush won a second time in 2004, I couldn't believe, "my country has done it again. How could we have fallen for that bullshit again?" By then, several of my friends were self-important Republicans short on policy-insight, but high on pomp and pluck. I thought it was all over for the democrats, that thanks to the Electoral College or the Religious Right or someone's fucked up sense of humor, the country was rolling down the face of a cliff, and picking up speed.

Last night, I think the United States proved me wrong. I watched the returns come in on CNN, in the Rec Room of my dorm with 20–30 other students. Many students left to bike to Grant Park, site of the official election night celebration, where Obama was slated to speak, but we were huddled at the University of Chicago, in a corner of Hyde Park where you could sentimentally say it all began. We jumped and cheered and hugged each other when the West Coast came in; CNN and MSNBC declared victory for Obama that minute.

I have a lot of homework (this is the U of C) to worry about today, among other preoccupations, but I stayed in the basement to hear Obama speak. Like always his speech was reserved but inspiring, I'd like to think emblematic of the forethought and care he puts into his words and actions. It showed his commitment to the clarity America needs, and the home-grown diversity America encompasses.

As he said in his victory speech, "That's the true genius of America, that America can change. That our union can be perfected." This statement has been demonstrated in the past, and was equally true today.

Finally, from the New York Times (it gives me chills): This is one of those moments in history when it is worth pausing to reflect on the basic facts:

"An American with the name Barack Hussein Obama, the son of a white woman and a black man he barely knew, raised by his grandparents far outside the stream of American power and wealth, has been elected the 44th president of the United States."


Come back later for a rant about California's Prop. 8, the gay marriage ban.

No comments: